Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Water

Hi Everyone,
We have water! The guys here were able to repair the water temporarily the day before I got here. It broke again 2 days later but we were able to fix it more permanently. We are now working on re routing the water through a more secure pipeline. There is much work to be done. Today I will head up to the source with my engineer friend sadrack that I have told many of you about. We will see what is needed immediately to fix the water system now and what is needed for a long term solution so that it can survive the next hurricane.



In the photo above you can see where the water line is in danger of being washed out. This is our more secure waterline that will need to be moved before the next huricane. Things are bad here, many people in the clinic from hunger and malnutrition related illnesses. I will try to get photos up soon.

Whole gardens have been washed away. The problem here is most of the gardens that people get reliable food to eat from are in the valley next to the river since they can be irrigated and do not depend on rain. During the huricane whole gardens several acres in size have been wiped out. (see photo with palm tree) We are asking for assistance from the world food program, hopefully they will be able to send some food via helicopter. I spent my first days here surveying potential landing sites. The roads are bad but we have one that is now passable into our village. When I ask people what they need up in the mountains it is usually: food, roads, gardens, houses in that order. The people here need food now to survive until they can get the next havest, 2 months from now for beans.


Some have told me they need seeds to plant beans, and sweet potatoe slips to plant as well. Please pray for us, and please pray that relief food gets here. Much of it is going to gonaives but it is more difficult to delivere it here in the mountains where the roads are gone.

(the water is about 5 or 6 feet deep and 8 feet wide through the main road to Foizon.)




Many people have lost homes as well. Most stay with family.




These kids where helping me find Sadrack and check the temporary water line.



This kid told me he is not using this water for drinking, but he probably is using it for washing. But it kind of shows you how precious water is here.

5 comments:

julie said...

Hi Dustin, it is Julie from PROTOS
I missed you last week in Passe Catabois as I have been told you were coming back when I was leaving. I couldn't find your mail adress in the blog so I hope you will read this message soon.
I came to make an evaluation of the situation and I am trying to find some fundings based on my report. I will come again on the 6th of october.
Please if you need anything where I might help (if I can bring food or anything else you need), tell me and keep me updated about the help you can achieve so that we can coordinate. Rob told me about the helicopter but I can see that it has not come yet.

regards

Anonymous said...

What you guys are doing is great. I will be in Haiti December 27th, if there's any way I could help at all please let me know. I will look for your email (hopefully it's on this blog somehwere) and maybe we can chat!

Anonymous said...

well i never found your contact info. please email me when you get a chance (to the author of this fascinating blog):

martine_ac@msn.com

Thanks

Rebecca said...

We will be praying. Aside from prayer, is there anything we can do to help? How are your funds?

Sharon said...

Praying for you! May the water and food come soon. It is hard for me to understand what it is like to fight just to survive.